Wednesday, August 3, 2011

1 Down

It's happened.  When I got 4 chickens back in April, I thought that this way I'd still have 2 or 3 if I lost any of them to babychickitis.  Today we lost a chicken.  She was in the middle of the coup, stiff, with eyes clouded over.  It was one of the white ones.  Either Peeps Lafeet or Lucy.  I sent the boys out after dinner to give them water and food and even though they still had food and water she was dead.  I think it's this blasted heat. A friend lost 2 chickens the other day as well.  Liam discovered her, had a good cry about it, and was consoled.  I am sad as well but I know that we take good care of them and we just can't control the heat.  We have no trees in our yard so they spend the heat of the day panting in the coop anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Stacey, I'm sorry. Hugs to Liam! Is there shelter closed in or can you rig up something that might get a little breeze? I'm not saying this to lay blame but to maybe help the ladies through the next 200 degree day. Why won't chickens swim in a paddle pool?

    ReplyDelete