Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuck in Your Shirt

Last night I had an experience. I am costuming a local theatre’s production. I told the actor playing Blank to tuck his shirt in for one scene- 1. You would not have an untucked shirt anyway and 2. I wanted that mens 40’s sillouette blah blah blah. He gave me a ‘look’. I said-mostly in a playful manner that this was ‘Blank’ not HISNAME. Meaning, that I wasn’t giving him fashion tips, just that I was dressing the character. He then yelled at me to ‘SHUT UP’ and started to walk away. I of course, gave his back a nasty look-and the director says to him ‘Oh, you're in trouble now!’(in a playful way). (At this point all the witnesses-which included the entire cast and crew -thought that he was trying to be funny and not succeeding.) He then goes off on a shouting tirade about how I have no right to give notes and why was I even talking. To which I said something about being the costumer-he then pointed out that I was not the director. People, I was not giving acting or movement notes. I gave notes like-“What happened to your belt?” and “You need to wear your hat.” Seriously. I have NEVER been talked to that way in a theatre situation. I gotta say, my pay rate does not include verbal abuse and belittlement. All this because I asked him to tuck in his shirt.

1 comment: